How Many Have the Name Onesiphorus?

     With all my travels around the world, I confess that I've heard many strange and unique names. Many have been beautiful because of their meaning in a foreign language. Others have been memorable because they matched the name of family or loved ones I hold dear. And still others have sounded unpleasant because of a pronunciation that fell flat upon English-speaking ears. 

     But of all the names I've heard, I don't think I've ever met anyone in modern times named Onesiphorus. O-nes-iph'-o-rus is a rough guide to how it should be pronounced according to my Bible. I'm sure you've read about him before. I was re-introduced to him again recently as I was reading II Timothy 1:16-18. Let me share the passage with you:

16  The Lord give mercy unto the house of Onesiphorus; for he oft refreshed me, and was not ashamed of my chain:
17  But, when he was in Rome, he sought me out very diligently, and found me.
18  The Lord grant unto him that he may find mercy of the Lord in that day: and in how many things he ministered unto me at Ephesus, thou knowest very well.

     What struck me as I was reading was, "I really do know someone named Onesiphorus!" In fact, the longer I think about it, the more I recall who have shared that tongue-tangling name. The spelling may have been slightly different. It may be spelled, J-o-h-n, or W-i-l-l-i-a-m, or D-a-v-i-d, or M-a-r-y, or any other group of letters. But, even if spelled quite differently, my family and I have known so many wonderful souls who were just like Onesiphorus.

     Paul said, "...he oft refreshed me." This is exactly what you have done for us over and over again. When we've been weary, tired of traveling, or longing for a friend, you have been there to refresh and encourage our hearts. "Refresh" means, "to give new strength or energy to, to reinvigorate." How many times have our hearts been made strong again simply by the kindest letters, calls, texts or emails that you've sent. I still remember vividly the letter than came to us in South America in 1992 from Sis. Sonya. As I closed the pages, tears were falling from my eyes, but my heart was reinvigorated! I had new joy and new strength to go on! 

     Next the Apostle declared, Onesiphorus "...was not ashamed of my chain:" Do you have chains, those limitations of life that disappoint and frustrate you? You wish you could do so much more, you long to be more effective, you cry because you've done so little due to the hindrances and short comings that pull you down. 

     Yes, we feel that way more than I can tell you. But in those most humbling moments when we see how little we have actually done for Jesus, you have been so kind and gracious to us. When we survey the field and the vast amount of work that remains to be accomplished, it is a crushing load to carry. Yet you have always given us what we needed to rise up and go forward. Just today a dear man who has many burdens of his own to bear, sent a donation check and in the memo he wrote, "For Soul Winning". 

     It is the gentle reminders like this one that God sends us through you. They remind us of the importance of working hard because someday, those souls can be laid at Jesus' feet. And that dear brother who sent it will reap a great part of the reward for those souls!

     Paul also noted, "...he sought me out very diligently, and found me."  I, too, was in Rome recently preaching among several Spanish congregations. The last pastor I preached for asked me if I had found the opportunity to see the prison where the Apostle Paul was held during his captivity.  I told him I had not. He then began to explain to me how to locate the place. I let him finish and I smiled politely. But, inwardly, I thought, "I'll never find that place! It sounds too complicated to locate in the massive city of Rome."  

     Paul made that very point.  He said, when Onesiphorus "...was in Rome..." he sought for me, and "...he found me."  It's almost like Paul could have placed an exclamation point at the end of that sentence. He was touched and he was amazed that Onesiphorus had taken so much time and effort to find him. There were many other things for Onesiphorus to do in Rome. His life was just like everybody else's life -- busy! Yet Onesiphorus cared for Paul. He truly cared!

     A few weeks ago in India I hurt my hand. It seemed very serious and I thought I had broken a bone. The next day it had gotten worse and the swelling increased. As it did, the pain became substantial. I was a little overwhelmed at that time and thought, "Who can I call in America to ask them to pray?" 

     It was the middle of the night in America so I didn't call anyone at that moment so as not to disturb them. But, when it turned 7:00 a.m. Eastern Time, I waited no longer. I sent word to a dear friend in Virginia because I thought they would not mind an early call. I relayed the simple need and within moments another preacher texted to tell me he was praying for me. The brother I had asked for prayer immediately had sent out a call to prayer to everyone on his list and they were all praying! 

     Yes, we are constantly amazed, humbled, and honored to have you as our friend and know that, just like Onesiphorus, you care about us and our ministry. You've "looked us up" many times to tell us you were praying. You've called us and wondered how we were because you hadn't heard from us in a while. And you have made it a point to find us in a large meeting where you saw us and just let us know that you loved us. 

     It's almost Christmas time now. And for this Christmas, my wife, my son, and I want to express our sincerest gratitude to God for our wonderful friends who all share the name, Onesiphorus! Thank you for your agape love that has always been extended to us. We are so blessed because of you.

Merry, Merry Christmas,

Beyond Frontiers

       




Comments

Popular Posts