How Beautiful!

     I suppose if there is anything that is inherently ugly, it has to be feet!  I don't know why, but I've always felt that way.  In fact, every time I read the Romans 10:15, "...How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!", I'm tempted to wonder just how that could be true.


     But, by God's grace, I've been many places among many different groups of people around the world. And in multiple of those places I've met believers who loved me, wanted to hug me and thank me graciously for having brought the message of eternal life to them. Somehow, in spite of all my personal feelings of failure and unworthiness, they seemed to see great beauty and great value in what God had done through me.  

     Last night was an uncomfortable evening. I had met a man about a year ago who had come to faith in Jesus.  Being a member of the Druse religion from the Middle East, it was a miracle he had reached out to the Lord. His parents were gone back to Syria where they still had family. He made amazing progress as he grew spiritually in a short time. 

     But, his parents returned and discovered his "shameful defection from the faith". The pressure began. The pain of losing his family's approval along with the reproach that was heaped upon him caused his will to bend. Soon afterward, it broke completely. A year later, he's back where he started, only he's far worse off than before.

     I found him yesterday on my last night in town. He was eager to talk and he openly discussed his need to return to the Lord. He wanted to meet me later that night and I was happy to oblige him. 

     He came as soon as his shop closed. His conversation went straight to the Lord. At one point it seemed he was ready to pray.  But, he paused, looked all around at his brother who was watching from nearby, a cousin standing in front of us and two or three more that knew him. Finally, he decided it was too risky. He'd wait until a more convenient time...

     His last words were words of thanks before he went his way. In the late hours of the night, he texted me several times to thank me for my words and prayers. The sincerity of his feelings made me believe that he agreed with the text of Romans 10:15. 

     But he's still not saved... Would you join me in prayer? Let's ask God to move in his heart so that he might respond to the Holy Spirit's call to repentance and renewal of his faith.

Beyond Frontiers 

Comments

Popular Posts